The church was built in 1851 as the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church and was enlarged in 1901 to its present size. In 1968 the congregation amalgamated with that of the nearby Bethel Wesleyan Methodist Church, and since that date, the current church has been known as Sherburn Hill Methodist Church. On the closure of Sherburn Methodist Church in 2010, a number of members transferred to Sherburn Hill which strengthened the congregation.
Present-day and the future
Ten years later we find ourselves in a different chapter of our life together, October 2020 brought to a close our time in the Chapel. However, as one door closed another opened, we remain committed to each other, though dispersed in different congregations and across our region we remain brothers and sisters in Christ with fond memories of this place we used to call home.
The Methodist Circuit now looks after the building and is actively looking at ways to best use the property and serve the Kingdom of God.
Sunday worship – under the reorganization the service is at Carrville at 10:30 when the third lockdown is suspended.
Front Street DH6 1PA
The church is situated on the south side of Front Street (the main street), B1283 road, at Sherburn Hill at the top of the hill.
View Durham & Deerness Valley Circuit in a larger map
For more information please contact the Minister
Minister Rev Andy Longe